Monday, December 16, 2013

Has Your Partner Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer?

In the vast majority of cases, a breast cancer diagnosis affects more than one person. All the focus understandably centers around the patient in formulating the best treatment plan. However, as physicians, I feel we generally do a bad job of considering the patient's support system, and the primary caregiver in particular.

Following one of my patients' breast cancer diagnosis, mastectomy and reconstruction, I asked her husband how he was coping and if there was any way we could be of more help.

He told me: "You're the first one who's even asked me how I'm doing. There's no manual. I can't fix this. I have a million thoughts but no words to express them".

His last comment really hit the nail on the head.

Please know you are not alone...


Here are some other credible resources that may help.

I wish you all the best.

Dr C

*****

Dr C is a board certified plastic surgeon and microsurgeon specializing in state-of-the-art breast reconstruction. He and his partners at PRMA are In-Network for most US insurance plans. Patients are welcomed from across and outside the US. Please call (800) 692-5565 or email patientadvocate@PRMAplasticsurgery.com to learn more about your breast reconstruction options. Connect with others touched by breast cancer in our Facebook community.

*****

No comments: